Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cookie Jars + A Recipe filled with Cinnamon

I got into baking shortly after Lola was born. I was never really good at it in the past because I never really took the time and patience with it. I was ALL about the pull apart cookie dough that took ten minutes. Now that I'm a stay at home mommy I have found more time to learn the art and science of baking from scratch. I haven't quite "mastered" it but I know I can make a damn good cookie. So since Christmas is rolling around the corner I decided to go all out with baking. I always wanted to be that person that baked for holidays, scrambling to gather copious amounts of baking supplies and warming the house with sugary goodness.
So I sent out four different types of cookies in extra tall mason jars to our closest friends and families. I chose cookies that remind me of Christmas right after the first bite. I'm not very good at the traditional sugar cookie cut outs. They always come out looking like over sized puffy versions of themselves. That's why I wanted my cookies to individually bring you to a different Christmas memory without visually seeing a candy cane or Santa.
I made:
  • Oatmeal Cranberry cookies
  • Andes Minty green cookies 
  • Red and White cookies n' cream cookies
  • Gingerbread chocolate chip cookies
My absolute favorite out of all of these are the oatmeal cranberry cookies. They have just the right amount of spice and just the right amount of nice. I make sure they are extra chewy since oatmeal has the tendency to get a little to crispy. The recipe originally was for plain ol' oatmeal cookies, but I couldn't resist the dried cranberries in my cabinet. They turned out just as good, and that little touch is what really makes the cookie my favorite. Below you can find the recipe that will change your mind about oatmeal cookies for the rest of your life.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies.



Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups old fashioned oats
A few handfuls of dried cranberries

Directions:


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl or an electric mixer combine the butter, sugars, and eggs. Once combined add in the vanilla.

3. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Slowly add to creamed mixture. 

4. Mix in the old fashioned oats.  Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or so and then mix again. (Tip: try not to over mix the oats in, or your dough will become too drippy.)

5. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 10-12 minutes.  (They spread, so bake about 6 at a time on large cookie sheets).  The edges will become golden brown but the middles will look underdone.  Cool on pan or wire rack for 5 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely on racks. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment