Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Felt Bulbs

Tonight we finally dressed our Christmas tree up with all the proper attire. well, Ryan actually handled all the ornamenting while I snuggled the shoosh on the couch. It happens, she IS pretty irresistible when it comes to cuddling, especially because it is very rare when she even wants to snuggle. Very particular. Anyway, I was standing in line at the grocery store the other day and I stared blankly over at all the overly sophisticated Christmas trees on the magazines staring back at me. Yes, they were beautiful and I'm sure they were way more valuable than they should be. Now, don't get me wrong I am a hug sucker for pretty sparkles and bows, especially on my tree. But a real tree tells a story. Each ornament has a tiny story and memory behind it. You know, those "1st Christmas" ornaments and those ones that have pictures in them from years ago. A few big shiny bulbs here and there, sparkling lights and memories strung from each piney branch. Those are the Christmas Trees that should be in magazines. 
 My ultimate favorite ornaments are the ones that are made by hand. I came across an etsy shop that was selling little felt light bulbs. I love when I am pinteresting and I quietly say to myself, "I CAN DO THAT." So I got a bunch of sheets of felt and got to work. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You will need:

  • multiple colors of felt in sheets
  • scissors
  • thread
  • needle
  • fluffy stuffing
  • ribbon or yarn for hanging
  • cup of hot cocoa ;)

Start out by folding your felt sheet in half and snipping out light bulb shaped cut outs. I fold them so it creates one whole piece and you will only have to sew two sides.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Next you're going to do a blanket stitch. just start from the back of the bulb and come up. Keep sewing all the way around until you have about an inch left to the end. Now you're gonna reach your hand into fluff heaven and stuff your little light bulb, just enough to make it look 3-dimensional. Nice! Almost time to hang it. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Now you're going to snip out little yellow squares from your stash of felt pages, and attach two (one on the front top of the bulb and one on the back top of the bulb). This is going to be the metal part of the light bulb. You're just going to traditionally sew in and out, back and forth until its secure. The traditional stitch gives the effect of grooves in the metal part. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
For the hanging, I just used some yarn from my dusty collection, but get creative! Maybe some ribbon, or use them in a garland or something to make imitation Christmas lights. I attached my yarn by hand just insert it onto the back or into the yellow felt before you sew the metal part on.

Happy Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment