For the Muffins:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- About 2 cups of whatever fruit or munchie you would love to add (blueberries, raspberries, lemon zest, cranberries, chocolate chips etc. GET CRAZY)
For the oh so crumbly topping:
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line your muffin tin.
- Melt the 7 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it's completely melted down wait for it to get a golden brown color, but do not burn it. Remember keep that baby on medium heat. Slow and steady. Once you see little speckles in the butter, like it's sizzling take it off the heat.
- While that's doing it's thing combine the milk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in your stand mixer or medium sized bowl. Whisk it up a bit, but not too much just to combine.
- Next, add the browned butter to the milk mixture, whisk a little and set to the side.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- If you're using your stand mixer keep it on the lowest setting and slowly pour your flour mixture into the milk and butter mixture. After about a minute stop mixing. (Do the same with a bowl and spoon).
- Now the fun part, add in your mix ins! Just make sure that if you're using a fruit to gently fold them in to keep them in tact! But a little blueberry juice running down the top is decadent.
- Pour your muffin batter into each liner about 2/3 of the way full.
Making the crumbly topping:
- Place all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and with a fork or your hands scrunch it all up so it becomes kind of like a crumbly clay like texture.
- Now sprinkle it bit by bit on each muffin and I always sprinkle a little bit of additional sugar on top of each muffin.
Happy Muffin Baking!