Friday, April 25, 2014

Heaven in Cake Form

Excuse my complaints of runny nose, sore throat and hacking cough. I absolutely hate being sick, and the chorus of our last few days has been too many "bless you's" and a nasty cough that just won't quit. Probably too much information, but whatever we've all been there. Not to mention,  my whole family has it even Jebdia has been suffering from the plague (overly dramatic I know, I just really hate being sick). I'm just not a functional person when I'm sick and being a mom and being sick making me wanna climb in Lola's crib and cry like a baby while she laughs at me. Today we are heading to the kiddy doc to get this ugly bug out of control for the hunny because her little coughs are heartbreaking to me. I figured since I'm couching it up while she tries her little hardest to nap through sniffles, I would present one of my all time FAVORITE white cake recipes.
Yes, I know totally unrelated to anything I've just said, and I hope I haven't grossed you out too much to scare you away, but seriously you must keep scrolling and jot this one down. This recipe has become my best friend for birthdays. 
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ingredients:

  • 5 large egg whites
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 3 cup cake flour, sifted
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons softened butter (I use the spreadable kind)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
The label speaks the truth ^

Making heaven in cake form:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray two round 8 inch pans with Pam and gather your ingredients.
  2. In a medium bowl crack your eggs whites and the whole egg together. Add 1/4 cup of the milk and vanilla to that bowl. Whisk it up. 
  3. Fit your electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Combine all the dry ingredients together on the stir setting for about 30 seconds.
  4. Keep the mixer going on stir, and add a tablespoon of butter at a time to the dry ingredients. Continue to mix on low after all the butter is added, and once you get a fine crumbly sandy looking texture turn it off. Now add the 3/4 of milk to the dry ingredients and butter and mix on low for about 5 minutes. 
  5. Take your egg mixture and add it after the five minutes are up in three separate batches. Mixing until your kitchen starts smelling like a cake bakery and it gets that light and fluffy look like you could sleep on it. This takes about 4 minutes. Take a spoon and do a quick stir before you pour. 
  6. Now evenly divide the batter into both pans. Bake the cakes until a toothpick comes out crumbly not completely clean, but not slimy. About a 30 minute bake time.
  7. Let the cakes cool on racks, then I usually take them both out of their pans slice off the tops and finish cooling in the fridge for frosting.
  8. Whip up your favorite frosting or use a good tub from the store  (like I do) I'm not so much of a pro at making frosting. Someday. 
And it's as easy as that, cake box mixes are totally non existent to me now because of this recipe. 
Now I'm going to go smother my face with tissues and dream about birthday cake. 
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment